Golf Will Go Ahead in Philippines despite Typhoon
An international golf tournament which had been scheduled for play will still go ahead in Manila this week despite severe chaos in parts of the Philippines following a typhoon which ravaged the country, leaving thousands dead and affecting the lives of millions more. The announcement was made by organisers today.
The $750,000 (Dh2.75m) Resorts World Manila Masters will go ahead as planned from Thursday to Sunday, the Asian Tour confirmed, with fund-raising activities to help victims also planned.
A large international aid effort has already begun after Super Typhoon Haiyan crashed into the nation’s central islands, causing terrible damage and leaving at least 10,000 people feared dead with 660,000 left homeless, according to the United Nations.
Asian Tour media director Chuah Choo Chiang, referring to the event’s sponsors, said: “They want to use the opportunity to try to raise some funds for the victims.
“They’re talking to various people and they hope to come up with some firm plans of what they want to do.”
The tournament is being held near the capital of Manila, which managed to survive the typhoon unscathed.
Fund-raising efforts could include the players donating pro-am appearance fees or even prize money, which would go some way to help the country and those living there. Filipino player Frankie Minoza, 53, has also pledged to help if he wins the event on Sunday.
Minoza said in an Asian Tour press release: “It’ll be nice to win this week so that I can make some money and help the typhoon victims.
“Filipinos have very strong hearts. We are used to typhoons hitting our country but it was unusual this year. We’ll get over this as we are survivors and we help each other.”