The Open 2015: The town of St Andrews is ready

Powered by National Club Golfer

From end to end, this corner of Scotland measures around a mile and there’s a resident population of just 17,000.

Anywhere else in the world and this would be no more than your average seaside resort.

Never has a town been so defined by a single sport and with the Open fast approaching, the residents are hard at work ensuring the 200,000 spectators, 2,000 media and 156 golfers see the town at its finest.

Lisa Lynch is a waitress at the local haunt – North Point Café. She and her husband are trying for a baby – one they hope will grow up to be a successful golfer.

“This town would be a ghost town without golf and the Open,” she said. “Business picks up when then event is on. We get a lot of players’ wives in here and you know who they are because they’re quite braggy, talking about their husbands.”

Lynch doesn’t play golf herself, but as a resident of St Andrews she is an owner of the course itself, thanks to the 1894 Links Act of Parliament.

This law means the links are public land, open to all, and it’s not unusual to see a resident walking their dog across Grannie Clark’s Wynd, a single-track road that traverses the two most famous fairways in golf.

Secretary Patrick Laughlin also runs a charity called the St Andrews Partnership and said that when the Open is on, day-to-day life is surprisingly unaffected.

“The town centre is quieter during the day than it would normally be during July, because everybody is on the golf course,” he said. “In Open Championship years, we get fewer ordinary tourists than normal, perhaps because they fear St Andrews will be packed out. But, counterintuitively, it is a very good time to see the sights and go shopping.”

A month before the event takes place, the Old Course closes, while a portion of the Jubilee is the practice area for the professionals. But rather than complain about the disruption, the members still feel privileged that the Open returns to their course.

“The buzz inside the club during Open week, you could almost say it’s shaking the foundations,” Richardson said, while gazing out over the fairway towards the grandstands.

“As soon as that first stand goes up, you realise it’s just around the corner. There’s nowhere like St Andrews when the Open is on.”

Only 25 per cent of the golf played on the St Andrews Links is by locals. And tourists from all over the world come to this corner of Scotland to make up the remaining 75 per cent, bringing billions of pounds into the economy.

There will be some disruptions and those heading to the supermarket may have to head out a little earlier.

Thankfully it’s the summer holidays so there’s no school run to worry about.

But every five years, this becomes the epicentre of the golfing world and the residents have learned there is no better way to showcase their hometown than the Open Championship at St Andrews.

Keep up to date with all the latest news & videos
Latest News
  • american golf News: LPGA Tour: Blue Bay LPGA – Minjee Lee

    Minjee Lee claimed her second win of 2016 after shooting a two-under 70 to beat Jessica Korda by a shot. Women’s British Open champion Ariya Jutanugarn was third with Charley Hull taking sixth place...
    Read more

  • american golf News: PGA Tour: CIMB Classic – Justin Thomas

    Thomas shot a 64, five birdies on the front nine and three on the back, to get the better of Hideki Matsuyama (66) with Lahiri tied for third with Derek Fathauer...
    Read more

  • american golf News: European Tour: Portugal Masters – Padraig Harrington

    A first win on the European Tour in eight years for Harrington as he pipped defending champion Andy Sullivan by a shot...
    Read more

More news
 View More Button
Latest Videos
  • Video: Golphin For Kids | Beginner to Winner - Pitching Pt. 1

    Now you have mastered Chipping, it is time to move on to Pitching, where the distances to the green start to get that little bit further. Calum is back to talk you through the basics of this important part of your game.
    Read more

  • Video: Golphin For Kids | Beginner to Winner - Pitching Pt. 2

    Now you have mastered Chipping, it is time to move on to Pitching, where the distances to the green start to get that little bit further. Calum talks you through the alphabet drill to help you practice those tricky pitch shots.
    Read more

  • Video: Callaway Golf Fusion Driver

    Their Most Forgiving Driver Ever. The Big Bertha Fusion Driver is a material change in forgiveness and distance, led by our revolutionary titanium Exo-Cage and ultralight triaxial carbon crown, with a new and innovative shape, and industry-leading aerodynamics.
    Read more

More news
View More Button